The first stone building in Ekaterinburg, erected during 1736-1739, was designed to serve the needs of the Mining Authority. The Johann von Banner project was more than just modest. It was a two-storey building with a high roof over the Dutch manner. However, the bureaucratic residence was named in rather gaudy fashion: The Chancellery Office of the Siberian and Kazan Plants. This is where the work began for the administration of numerous factories, mines, and pits situated along both sides of the Ural range. Right there in the building’s court was were the first “treasury building” in the city was housed with all the necessary infrastructure, including an interrogation hut and a torture shed. Over the building’s near three hundred-year history, it has been rebuilt numerous times. In the 19th century, architect Mikhail Malakhov built a third floor on top of the Ural Mining Administration. That’s when the building’s facade acquired a classical spirit of decoration. Another hundred years passed and people in cases were replaced by people with cases – for music instruments: in 1934, the building was changed into the state conservatory. In 1967, additional third floor volume was constructed under Vladimir Yemelyanov’s project, which gave the conservatory a cozy, half-indoor internal court and a large concert hall, as a complement to the concert hall in the building’s historical section (today known as the Small Hall in the name of S.S. Prokofyev, who performed there in 1935).