On July 5, 1900, on a land lot near Verkh-Isetsky Ironworks the first city bicycle track was built, which opened up a half year later. What made the idea possible was an interest-free loan of 500 roubles provided by merchant Kamaletdin Agafurov to the Сyclist Community. The use of the bicycle track served as a development springboard for other types of sports venues as well: ten years after its opening, it had three soccer fields, just as many lawn tennis courts, and croquet fields as well. In 1928, the wooden Lenin Ural Regional Stadium appeared at the bike track’s location and in 1936 it was given into the possession of Metallurg Vostoka (Eastern Metallurgist) Sports Society. During the post-war years, the popularity of the idea grew to have a stadium with a larger capacity. The main sports arena of Central Stadium was built by 1956 based on a project developed by architect Nikulin and improved upon by employees of the Ural branch of Promstroyproekt (“Industrial Construction Project”) Vasilyev and Vladimirsky. This was one of the best sports complexes in the country with a capacity of up to 27,000 spectators. A whole array of world and Union-wide competitions took place there: speed skating world championships, the winter Spartakiad (School Olympics) finals of the peoples of the USSR, and sportsmen fought to win the title for being the best at light athletics, soccer, hockey, and motorcycle racing. In the beginning of the 21st century, the stadium underwent a series of reconstructions. The latest concluded in 2017 within the bounds of preparation for the FIFA World Cup. The light athletics tracks were removed, the stadium was remade exclusively for football, and the capacity of the stadium reached as much as 35,000 people.